A Tradition of Caring
Historic Boone Tavern Hotel’s environmentally focused renovation is consistent with the historical values of Berea College in preserving Appalachian culture and natural resources and its contemporary commitment to sustainability.
Every guest can breathe easy with the assurance that their stay at Boone Tavern is complete with many earth-friendly features and practices. We invite you to partner with us as we seek to be faithful stewards of our natural resources. From the first moment of stepping through the pillared grand entrance, to the respite of home away from home comfort, to the grand finale dining experience, guests can participate in our pursuit of making the world a “greener”, more sustainable place.
Kentucky's Leader in Energy Conservation and Environmental Design
Boone Tavern radiates the charm of a historic hotel while it provides the modern technologies and ecologically sustainable amenities that today’s travelers expect. The Hotel’s 11 million dollar renovation achieved the gold standard of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification program, giving Boone Tavern the distinction of being the first LEED Gold-certified hotel in Kentucky.
- Energy efficient heating and cooling systems improve guest comfort and reduces annual energy consumption by 17.6%.
- Low emissivity windows, energy star lighting, solar tubes and skylights provide natural light and reduce energy consumption
- Heat recovery coils capture energy from kitchen wastewater
- Guests enjoy clean air through the use of low VOC (volatile organic compound) paints, adhesives and carpets minimize ozone and other pollutants
- Increased ventilation improves air circulation throughout the building
- A majority of the building structure was preserved and reused to retain historic integrity
- Regional products made from recycled materials were used throughout the hotel
- Preferred parking is provided for guests with low emission vehicles and a charging station for electric vehicles
- All guestrooms feature a master switch which allows guests and staff the convenience of a one-switch power off to all electricity in the room
- Low volume toilets and low flow faucets and shower heads enable guests to participate in the conservation of water during their stay
- Guests are also offered the choice to reuse towels and linens in order to conserve water and energy
Greening Our Operations
- Boone Tavern is a non-smoking facility
- All cleaning products are “green approved”
- All food waste is recycled and used as compost
- All paper, plastic and aluminum is recycled in partnership with Berea College
- Vegetable oil is recycled for use in cars
- Complimentary bicycles are provided for guest use for recreation and local shopping
- All guestroom amenities are all natural and wrapped in low-waste packaging
- Our dedicated Green Committee meets on a regular basis to develop new ways to improve the sustainability of our operations
Greening Our Cuisine
In the Boone Tavern restaurant we use locally grown ingredients and Kentucky Proud certified products which makes our food fresher, healthier and more sustainable. Our award-winning culinary staff creates an unparalleled dining experience for our guests.
- We are one of the largest purchasers of Kentucky Proud products in the state
- Our legendary mouthwatering spoonbread recipe includes cornmeal produced from Kentucky’s bluegrass region
- Our culinary staff selects ingredients directly from the farmer’s market right here in Berea to create weekly specials featuring local food from within 20 miles
- Restaurant menus are changed seasonally to include the freshest produce from local growers providing guests with a unique and flavorful experience
Impacting the Future Through Awareness
- Ongoing training of staff and incoming students stresses the importance of sustainable practices
- A Berea College sustainability dashboard system located in the lobby provides information on utility usage of Boone Tavern and other buildings on Berea College campus
- Staff guided tours and lectures of Boone Tavern educate guests and student groups
- The Boone Tavern “Green Brochure” is mailed to potential customers and provides education for “going green at home”